Friday, October 10, 2008

will melatonin be the answer?

Yesterday we met with Max's doctor to discuss several health issues. What do you think was on the top of my priority list? Yep, Max's lack of sleep...absolutely!

Not only is it not good for his health, but it is impacting his educational opportunities as well. The other day we were up at 3 am and we were both a wee bit tired. So as I am ordering a VERY strong coffee at Starbucks, I get a call from Max's teacher. He had just started an art project, yawned once and then fell asleep right then and there in his chair.

His school therapists have been reporting that he can be lethargic and disinterested during sessions...and he falls asleep often on the ride home.

I have tried just about everything to see what works better for his sleep pattern...various levels of activites, various amounts of light in his room and hallway, different approaches to get him back to sleep, etc. You name it, we have tried it.

So the doctor and I have agreed that melatonin is now worth a try. Sleep disorders (aka "night parties") are extremely common with individuals with CHARGE, so I am not completely surprised this is an issue. I was just hoping, hoping, hoping we would avoid this one! And who knows, we still might and this may just be a phase.

The doctor also talked with me about how common sleep issues are among children with various disabilities...and especially those who have had lengthy hospital stays, chronic lung disease, etc. It makes sense really...they never had the opportunity to establish a true sleeping pattern since they are being poked and prodded in the hospital and then closely monitored while they are sleeping. Additionally, there is the neurological component to some disorders...especially a midline defect like CHARGE...that causes sleep disorders.

So last night was our trial run. We started with a very small dose of melatonin last night and the results were "ok." He isn't feeling great this week so his coughing and sneezing have caused him to wake up a lot. Then I need to give him some breathing treatments and *attempt* to soothe him back to la la land. Last night that attempt was fairly successful. When he would wake up, I had him sleep on top of me and he seemed to like that. Then the rest of the night we slept pretty much nose to nose and he was very gracious about coughing and sneezing his germs right onto me. Such a generous lil' boy he is! :)

But we did manage to sleep in until 7 am. And that my friends is a record breaker for us! So we'll see how this goes over the next week. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hope you and yours are enjoying peaceful dreams this week...we intend to do the same very soon! :)

7 comments:

Samantha Seholm said...

All 3 of my kiddos have been on melatonin for about two years and it is a miracle. David use to stay up almost all night and never got enough sleep, since we started melatonin all 3 of my kiddos are asleep almost every night by 8pm. Kennedy still wakes up often durning the night but she will usually go back to sleep. I hope this works for Max and you both start getting lots and lots of sleep soon.

Unknown said...

another idea if you find the melatonin doesnt work email oru charge list lots of parents have tried dif stuff ove the years or even search archives for sleep many hugs and kisses ellen

Melissa said...

Aw I hope this works for both of you. I sure miss seeing your face around! I think I took Tuesdays for granted. Sam said she'll try and get us all together for coffee! Yay!

Crystal M. said...

I hope you both get some well needed rest soon. I beleive the little guy I do respite for is on the same meds and he has been doing great. He has not slept through the night since birth and he is about to turn 3 next week.
Good Luck
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

hannah m said...

All wishes for continued sweet dreams and lengthy slumbering!

I used melatonin for a short while a few years ago when I was having trouble falling asleep - I've never taken any other sleep aid - but I liked that melatonin didn't make me groggy.

Catherine L said...

Always used melatonin on planes to help sleep and it worked, but perhaps that was something to do with the glass of champagne on the side which is not recommended! best of luck with it. Cx

Rik's Shed said...

Our son has Charge and he has been awake at night for 3 months now. I am sitting here reading at 2am after comforting him. Next week we get a trial of melatonin and I hope it will help him. If anybody has any advice we will gratefully accept all of it.

Regards Rik