Saturday, February 2, 2008

whooping cough?

So for the past month, a few of us girlfriends have been eagerly awaiting tonight...a chance to get together, connect, support, laugh and simply have fun. The six of us all have children with special needs and simply wanted an opportunity to be with others who truly "get it." Plus, we all really like one another and knew we would have a great time! (And I really needed it after this week!)

However, the universe had other plans. The kiddos at Max's special needs playgroup have been exposed to whooping cough...and several are already displaying early symptoms, including my lil' guy. The health department put Max on the "high risk" list and sure enough when they called this morning, his symptoms caused them concern. So they said he needs to be seen and given antibiotics right away. We have an appointment in an hour and there are supposedly a multitude of lab tests.

I guess my decision to "break isolation" wasn't so great after all...sorry Max.

11 comments:

Sandi said...

Hopefully Max you get better and the antibiotics can start to work fast. No fun being sick.

I was so looking forward to tonight! But now I'm looking forward to a raincheck :) on the evening. Take care Amy.

Unknown said...

I will pray for Max and his staying/getting well....
I hope you eventually get your girls night!
Jaye

Carolyn said...

Max, get to feeling better real soon. I hope the antibiotics will help in a quick recovery.

Amy, you will get out the girls.

Love and prayers,
Carolyn in WV

Moriah Bettencourt said...

OMG! Was he vaccinated? My SIL had WC last year but the Dr's said that since Alex was vaccinated we were okay.

I hope that he does not come down with it!

Unknown said...

well this explains some of the probs he may of been having recently specialy if it happend in the last month i had it a while ago and u dont know uve got it u can think its an ordinary thing well let just say this at least we know this i swhat max has and hope u dotn get it love u both heaps

Crystal M. said...

Poor Max and Poor Mommy!! I hope its all over soon and mommy gets her night out with the other moms. I know I loved my weekend with Michele we talked til we fell asleep every night it was great to have someone to talk to that understood.
Get well soon,
Crystal and Eva

Anonymous said...

My prayers and love are with you both.

Inkling said...

My dad contracted whooping cough almost three years ago, and it took a long time for him to be diagnosed. I guess the past few years has seen a resurgence of the illness, despite immunizations (they said my dad's immunization had just worn off). With that said, I will be praying for you guys, and for the kiddos in the play group. May God keep you guys safe and healthy, and may anybody with whooping cough symptoms get better soon. I'm glad you are in good care with such a great health team for Max. Oh, and may you get some rest for yourself in the midst of all of this!

Jen said...

Amy and Max, I'll be thinking of you the next few days. Hang in there buddy!

Amy, Mike and Ben Russo said...

Whooping cough!! Oh no. As if you don't already have enough on your plate. Ugh!

Catherine L said...

Sincerely hoping and praying that Max does not have it. I remember you talking about isolation a couple of months back but it's just not possible for your sanity and their development. with love, your friends C, J & R