Wednesday, April 25, 2007

difficult week

* I started this post over an hour ago but keep getting called away by Max's oximeter. He is attempting to take a nap but keeps desatting (low oxygen levels) and coughing. I'll try to finish this up quickly before he needs me again.

Thank you for your concern for Maxwell. Fortunately his fever finally did subside yesterday with the help of some medication. He is on ROUND THREE of antiobiotics for this month. We switched to a stronger variety and hoping this kicks this bug once and for all.

I called his doctor yesterday in a panic about the long term effects of so many meds. He reassured me that there isn't any proof of autism/meds/etc., but quite frankly we really don't have much of a choice anyway. Max's immunity is simply very weak and he requires assistance to handle illnesses. I just don't want to use drugs too often and look back in 5 - 10 years and be upset with my decisions.

Meanwhile, his lungs are quite a mess. He is having a difficult time breathing so we are giving all three breathing treatments every four hours and lots of CPT (clapping of the chest to help the congestion). He is requiring more oxygen and is not tolerating feeds very well. Lots and lots of vomiting the past few days...and therefore, lots and lots of laundry!

Poor lil' guy...but he is such a trooper as always. And when he is not coughing or vomiting, he is quite happy! :) That's my guy!

Best run, lots to get done during this brief quiet time. Thanks again for your concern for Mighty Max! :)

5 comments:

Mary said...

Sweet Maxwell,

I am so sorry your illness is lasting so long. Hope you are well again soon. You and Mommy are in my prayers.

Love,
"Auntie" Mary

Carolyn said...

Dear Max, Hope you start feeling better real soon. You and Mommy are a great team, I'm sure you will be on the mend in no time. Mommy sure knows how to take care of her lil guy.
Hugs to both of you,
Carolyn

Unknown said...

What a relief to hear from you guys. I was becoming quite worried. However, it doesn't sound like he is doing any better, which I am very sorry to hear. Max, buddy, I sure hope that those doctors can figure out something to help you get to feeling better soon. I'm with your mommy--I would be concerned about so many antibiotics too, but I'm sure the doctors know best. Get better soon, we miss seing those videos of you showing off your newest milestones!

Take care,
Lindsay

Crystal M. said...

I am glad he is feeling better and I hope he is back to his old self soon.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Unknown said...

wow xxxxxxxxxx