Thursday, March 29, 2007

prayers please

Usually I don't freak out about Max's latest "bug," but this one is worrying me. Nope this isn't the sinus infection from earlier this week (antibiotics are working great)...this is a stomach issue. Yesterday he was happy go lucky as usual, but then last night, things suddenly changed. He took his bath and got his nightly meds/inhalers/etc., and then we were just rocking. He started to fall asleep and then woke up in a startle with eyes rolling to the back of his head and then vomited. He seemed to be in great pain. So I quickly emptied his stomach (beauty of a Gtube), but soon enough he vomited again with what little remains were left.

I was hoping that I perhaps had just pushed his feeds too quickly that evening. Sometimes if that happens, he will simply let me know by vomiting. (Sorry to be so graphic...but the fellow moms of Gtube kiddos know what I'm talking about.)

But this continued on and on and on...all night long literally. Even with Pedialyte, he would vomit immediately. It's not the vomiting that was concerning me, as much as his intensely strong reaction when he would startle. The body positioning, eye movement, his very pale color...it really scared me. (During this time, his O2 needs doubled as well.) I almost took him to the ER but I wasn't sure what they could actually do for him.

Fortunately we did have a nurse last night, so I did sleep for a few of those hours while she rocked and comforted him. Right now he is sleeping peacefully for the first time all night, so I'm curious when he wakes up how he is acting. He hasn't had anything to eat (Gtube that is) and I don't know how he will tolerate that once we start it up again.

Sooo...that's the long and short of it. Please keep Maxwell in your prayers.

*Also please keep sweet lil' Caleb in your prayers. He is the little boy with CHARGE back in WV. He is still waiting for the transfer to Duke for his transplant. Meanwhile he has a line infection and could require surgery for a new IV. He is fighting a good fight, but certainly has a difficult road. However, the good news is that he is using this waiting time to work on his development. He just learned to roll from back to tummy and is bearing some weight on his legs. Way to go Caleb. And way to go Mommy for your dedication to his progress!

Please send love, comfort and prayers to him and his wonderful parents. Thank you.

9 comments:

Miss N Cedie said...

I am so sorry to hear Maxwell isn't feeling well. These kiddos sure can keep you on your toes. I will be thinking of you both all day and praying that it was just a rough night and all is well again.
Stay strong Amy. You are such an amazing mom and you know how best to care for Max.
Please let us know asap how he is doing today.

Love Jennifer

Dylan and Family said...

Hi Amy,

Let me know if you need anything. Give Maxwell a kiss for me.

Kristy

Carolyn said...

Amy & Max, I'm sending prayers and thinking of you both. Please keep us posted.
Hugs to Max & Amy.
Love & Prayers,
Carolyn

Mary said...

Praying for you and Maxwell and anxiously awaiting an update.

Love,
Mary

Crystal M. said...

I will be thinking and praying for all of you, as always.
Hugs and prayers,
Crystal and Eva

Shannon said...

Prayers to Maxwell. I wish I lived closer so I could help you in some way.
Get better Mighty Max.
We love you!!
Shannon

Anonymous said...

Hugs and Kisses Maxwell> I hope you start feeling better.

Hugs and more Hugs.

Amy, Mike and Ben Russo said...

We will be praying for Max here in Cincinnati. Poor guy. Call us if you need anything.
XOXO - Amy

Unknown said...

Prayers to you and Max. Both of you are in my thoughts and prayers