Monday, December 19, 2011

cookies, communication and CHARGE

Max loves getting a cookie from the bakery each and every time we stop at the grocery store. There really is no way to avoid it...I have tried to go different ways in the aisles but he always directs his way back to the bakery. It's quite amusing. :) What I particularly love is that the ladies at the bakery have been there for some time and have witnessed Max's progress. Now he chooses to not just sign "cookie"...but to spell it. That really impressed the bakery team!

And tonight we had a very special moment. A lady and her daughters watched us signing and talking with the baker, and she stopped me afterwards and gently asked if Max happened to have CHARGE Syndrome. I was taken back because no one ever knows of CHARGE! Her 19-year-old son happens to have CHARGE as well and she recognized the "characteristics" right away. We had quite the conversation...it was as though we had known each other for years! (If you are reading this my new friend, thanks for stopping us and sharing your family's story. It was a true joy meeting all of you!)

"Mom, I just love love love these sugar cookies...isn't this so much fun?"

Often Max will break the cookie and actually share a piece with me...isn't that sweet? Other times, I think he just wants me to hold it for him. But if it looks really good...well, it's mine! Sorry Max! :)


3 comments:

Carolyn said...

A very touching story. Glad you have a new friend.
Love you,
Carolyn in WV

Carolyn said...

A very touching story. Glad you have a new friend.
Love you,
Carolyn in WV

Crystal M. said...

Very neat story!!!