Sunday, February 1, 2009

a special dinner
















Last night at dinner, we were seated next to another table with two women. I could tell from the conversation that one had a disability, and I really wanted to say hello. But I wanted to be "mannerly" so I didn't. Fortunately she was also interested and we began talking. She asked about Max and commented on how adorable he was.

Later in the dinner, she turned to me quietly and oh so politely, "I don't want to be rude, but what..." I knew right away what she was asking..."what was Max's disability?" I loved her openness and honesty. When I explained, she was very empathetic and then explained about her challenge with seizures.

Bill and I were both so touched by the conversation. It was a truly special dinner!

*Oh and the photo? Yep, Max is quite ornery. He was being super cute and snuggly moments before...just filled with beautiful smiles. As soon as we brought out the camera, he gave us this serious look. Silly guy.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

A picture of two beautiful people. Max, you have your Mommy's eyes. Sending hugs for the three of you.

Anonymous said...

such a serious face little man, were you deep in thought?

Melissa said...

Love that photo. I was at Olive Garden last night too!! But probably quite later than you all.. we ended up there about 7:30 and oh it was tasty!

Kristi said...

I love "chance" encounters like that!

We often have the same issue with pictures or videos once the kids see the camera! Makes me crazy... which I am sure is part of the reason that they do it!

I must say, your crafting partner looks very sophisticated with his creations! And, I LOVE his shirt! :-)

(Amy, Not sure on the conference... travel logistics with both kids and my husband's inability to schedule time off right now. Plus, it's the same timing that my stepdad is due to return from his year-long tour in Afghanistan. As much as I've always sworn I'd never miss a conference - - I really can't miss his homecoming!)

Crystal M. said...

Well you know Max might be sick of the photos...LOL! I know Eva can be....LOL! What a great chance you had to talk to others with special needs and have them understand.
Well done!!
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

hannah m said...

What a serendipitous meeting during your dinner - and a cutie photo of you and Max, too!