Monday, October 6, 2008

more classes, more therapy

So Maxwell and I have added a few new "activities" to our schedule to help him with his communication skills. Tonight we begin our newest class at Western, and it is supposed to be phenomenal. We added a new speech therapist last month and we have an evaluation scheduled with another one for next month. And our 2nd level ASL class starts in the winter (first class ended last week)...definitely can't miss that. Soooooo much to learn!

I don't want to overwhelm him or our lives with therapies, BUT I also don't want to miss an opportunity to help him with his speech (or lack thereof) and sign language.

Every once in a while, he'll say something that sounds so much (to me at least!) like the intended word...but it certainly wouldn't pass for speech to others. But he is making progress...and that is what is most important in life, right?

The other day he even signed "grandma" and kind of said it too! Grammy has been in town for the past month and finally he decided to reward her with this special lil' gift! Thanks Max!

So we'll keep trying...and Max will keep amazing me. I just need to keep up with him, that's all. Some parents say they can't get their kiddos to shut up...I am dreaming of the day that I can say the same. Wouldn't that be awesome? :)

5 comments:

Crystal M. said...

Great job Max I hope it all works out for you all.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

hannah m said...

Way to go, Max! I bet you just melted Grandma's heart!

Amy, you are such a wonderful mom for your sweet boy - he's so blessed to have you.

Unknown said...

hope it all gioes well love to hear his progress keep it up both of u

Amy, Mike and Ben Russo said...

Go Max go! All your progress shows.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

He is doing great! It just stands to reason that, typically, the parent to be around the child most often has a better time understanding that child. As a stay at home mom, I understand my 2.5 year old almost all the time. My 10 yr old (preemie, who was in speech therapy for years), I have no problems with - but sometimes, my husband doesn't understand him.

Each day, Mighty Max will become more and more verbal! This is such an exciting time for him and for you! :-)